-
August 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
makes me barf to think someone would listen to the **** for so long.
-
August 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
But then, again, to most people, their tv sounded great in the years gone by.
-
August 5th, 2007, 03:54 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
kinda a cool story here, a little testimonial. my ex father-in-law..a old hippie, loves the blues. well i set him up yrs ago with some bose 901's. last night i brought over an extra set of 828's i had, filled them with an extra pair of 418-8h's, bolted some 805's driven by 288-8k's..threw the bose out in the yard, junk in my opinion. then proceeded to melt som ears! using a cheap pioneer home reciever, says its a 100w/. some live lazy from maiden japan by deep purple brought a smil and taers to his eyes. capped the evening off with some live jeff beck. he's never heard music so good b4 he tells me. to me a cheapy throw together a-5 system. my ears are ringing, you could here it for blocks. i think i converted him to my way of thinking. and the sound was amazing, pure clean rich deep and way loud
-
August 5th, 2007, 12:15 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Excellent Vahallax!
Not too long ago i entertained some friends who now live far away and can only come this way once a year. After some liquid refreshments and just enough smoke in the air to simulate a "live" setting, we listened to my prized copy of "Machine Head" from start to finish on the A7's(DIY 828's w/JBL2035's and 802-8G/511).
They now refer to the evening as a "religious flashback"
-
August 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
There was a monitor, I think 9849? that used a 414 and the 32A horn. Not as tall as the A series box. I'm thinking of buiilding some of those.
The blueprints are at the CPC site.
-
August 6th, 2007, 03:20 AM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
There was a monitor, I think 9849? that used a 414 and the 32A horn.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm only familiar with the "A" versions, great sounding kick a-s-s little monitors. It uses the 1500hz 32343 XO(has some EQ/compensation), and 802-8G(originally with the light phram).
If you need some comprehensive pics and component values for the network, just say the word as i'll be recapping/rebuilding a pair of 32343's in the near future.
-
August 6th, 2007, 03:24 AM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...itor/page5.jpg
Very interesting!
That appears to be a sealed box, and NOT a 414 but rather a foam surround woofer.
I've really only ever seen and heard of the ~1975 versions with a 414 and ported box.
-
August 6th, 2007, 05:34 PM
#8
Inactive Member
It almost appears to be a model 15 without the port.
-
August 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
Quite similar yes. I think the model 15 has a cheaper woof? Or does it use the 414?
Here's a pair of 9849 8D's- this is what I was thinking of building
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d.php?p=166047
-
August 6th, 2007, 08:36 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
Curiosity got the better of me.
The early model apparently was sealed, with a different bass driver and 900 hz xover.
The newer one seems to use the 414 and a 1500 hz xover. This is what I'm familiar with. Never seen one of the old ones in person. Very slightly higher efficiency, I'm surprised I thought the difference would be more.
The prints are in Altec AN-11 available here:
http://www.cpcproductions.com/altec_..._resources.htm
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks